Receding gums is a common dental problem that affects many people. It occurs when the gum tissue around the teeth pulls back, exposing more of the tooth or the tooth’s root. This can lead to tooth sensitivity, decay, and even tooth loss if left untreated. While there are many treatments available for receding gums, some people prefer to try natural remedies at home. In this article, we will discuss some effective ways to reverse receding gums at home.
What Causes Receding Gums?
Before we dive into the remedies, it’s important to understand what causes receding gums. Some of the common causes include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Gum disease
- Grinding or clenching teeth
- Hormonal changes
It’s important to identify the underlying cause of your receding gums to effectively treat the problem. If you have severe gum disease, for example, you may need professional treatment from a dentist or periodontist.
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that involves swishing oil in your mouth for several minutes. It’s believed to help improve oral health and reduce inflammation. To try oil pulling for receding gums, follow these steps:
- Choose a high-quality oil such as coconut oil or sesame oil.
- Take a tablespoon of oil and swish it around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Brush your teeth as usual.
You can do oil pulling once a day, preferably in the morning before eating or drinking anything. It’s important to note that oil pulling is not a substitute for regular brushing and flossing.
A saltwater rinse is a simple and effective way to reduce inflammation and promote healing in the gums. To make a saltwater rinse, follow these steps:
- Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Swish the solution around in your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Spit out the solution and rinse your mouth with plain water.
You can do a saltwater rinse 2-3 times a day, especially after meals. It’s important to use warm water, as hot water can damage the gums.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can help reduce gum inflammation and promote healing. To use aloe vera gel for receding gums, follow these steps:
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel directly to the affected gums.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
You can do this 2-3 times a week. It’s important to use fresh aloe vera gel and not the store-bought variety, which may contain additives and preservatives.
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce gum inflammation and promote healing. To use green tea for receding gums, follow these steps:
- Brew a cup of green tea.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Swish the tea around in your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Spit out the tea and rinse your mouth with plain water.
You can do this 2-3 times a day, especially after meals. It’s important to use unsweetened green tea, as sugar can promote bacterial growth in the mouth.
Receding gums can be a painful and frustrating problem, but there are many natural remedies that can help reverse the condition. Oil pulling, saltwater rinse, aloe vera gel, and green tea are just a few examples of effective home remedies for receding gums. It’s important to maintain good oral hygiene and identify the underlying cause of your receding gums to effectively treat the problem. If your receding gums persist or worsen, it’s important to seek professional dental care.